Cutscene and transition screens.

Hippokittie

Cutscene and transition screens.

Post by Hippokittie » Thu May 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Hey, so I have been following the auto text tutorial for cutscenes and have run into some issues that I would like to have some help with.

Firstly- I have a transitional image I am switching between, and I noted that it would restart the code when switching backgrounds. Do I need to just have only 2 lines of text on each image/scene?

Secondly- I would like to know if it has been figured out how to play a cutscene and then put a player back on the same level? (like game over then continue back to the last checkpoint?)

Thirdly- I would like to know if a cutscene can be triggered mid level, then put you back in the level where it started, or if it would be better to just end the level there and start a new chain of screens.

Finally- Is it possible to end a boss battle, and when the boss dies trigger a cutscene? (more text and an image)

Cheers.
Secret project in the works - Retro Enthusiast.
Bucket Mouse

Re: Cutscene and transition screens.

Post by Bucket Mouse » Sat May 23, 2020 8:36 am

What kind of game are you working on -- platformer or adventure? Because I've pulled off what you describe in the Adventure module, yet I've never done it in Platformer.
Hippokittie

Post by Hippokittie » Sat May 23, 2020 9:35 am

Bucket Mouse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:36 am
What kind of game are you working on -- platformer or adventure? Because I've pulled off what you describe in the Adventure module, yet I've never done it in Platformer.
It's a platformer action game. I've seen some people do it in past byte-off things and a few videos online; but no information on how (similarly to the animated tiles that are not the same as the monsters haha)
Hippokittie

Post by Hippokittie » Tue May 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Small update. I played around a bit and have a semi fix for mid level cutscene, as I just make the screen be the last in the chain, then put the player in the modified version with the left side blocked off to prevent going that way. Kinda works, just gotta figure out the level change cutscenes and intro scene, and the cutscenes are done. Then try to figure out the calling method to switch sprite for animated tiles. :/
Hippokittie

Post by Hippokittie » Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Cutscenes are just going to be autotext from the other tutorial I guess. Will be doing things that way I guess haha. Now to figure out animated tiles and I am done.