The Tower of Turmoil

User avatar
CutterCross
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm

The Tower of Turmoil

Post by CutterCross » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:52 pm

After over 3 months in development, The Tower of Turmoil is finally complete!


Hundreds of people have mysteriously disappeared throughout the land, and a treacherous tower has seemingly risen out of nowhere...

A lone swordsman named Takemaru Kurumana has sensed a great amount of dark energy from the tower, and knows that he's the only one capable of stopping it. As the wielder of the Sword of Divinity, Takemaru races toward the Tower of Turmoil to dispel the source of the dark energy within, and solve the mystery behind the rapid disappearances.


Thanks to everybody who has helped support this game! For those who want to see its development history, click here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=227
Special thanks to dale_coop, jorotroid, MistSonata, and WolfMerrik for their ASM contributions!

I'd love to see screenshots and videos of you guys playing this game! So feel free to post them down below! Have fun and thank you for being patient with this game's development! It's been a wild ride!


Made with NESmaker 4.0.11 Platformer Module

****UPDATE: Ver. 1.01 adds a couple small bug fixes
The_Tower_Of_Turmoil_1.01.zip
(57.54 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by CutterCross on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
User avatar
Kasumi
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by Kasumi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Congrats on the release!
Image
You'll find my playthrough attached. FCEUX movie.

Fans are a bit inconsistent. Swinging the sword cuts off jump height, and there's the landing in the air thing that affects a lot of NES Maker games. During cutscenes, you can swing your sword sometimes. You can also get the same text to trigger twice. That's all as far as bugs that aren't... state machiney.

Your boss in particular is excellent.
Attachments
The_Tower_Of_Turmoil_1.00-0.zip
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
User avatar
CutterCross
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by CutterCross » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Kasumi wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 pm
Congrats on the release!
Image
You'll find my playthrough attached. FCEUX movie.

Fans are a bit inconsistent. Swinging the sword cuts off jump height, and there's the landing in the air thing that affects a lot of NES Maker games. During cutscenes, you can swing your sword sometimes. You can also get the same text to trigger twice. That's all as far as bugs that aren't... state machiney.

Your boss in particular is excellent.
Sadly I can't seem to open your playthrough movie in FCEUX, but that's awesome you made it through The Blackout! Thanks for noting those bugs btw. I actually knew about most of those but I couldn't find a good way to fix them, and I just wanted to release this and move on to other things.

The fans won't move you forward if you're running in the same direction the fan blows you, if that clears anything up about them being inconsistent.

Thanks for trying it out Kasumi!

**NVM, I got the movie to work, I was just being a dunce with how to open it.
Last edited by CutterCross on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
User avatar
del inf3rno
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 am
Location: California

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by del inf3rno » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Awesome man, I got stuck on a few parts due to a weird glitch. The first was the first stage of the boss, we killed each other at the same time and after the cutscene I think the game didn't know what to do with the player.

The second was in the blackout, it wouldn't recognize that I killed all the enemies in the room. I'll post the pictures when I get home.

Great work! Do you plan to make changes with 4.1 update?
Check out my WIP project Labyrinth of Yggdrasil
User avatar
dale_coop
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am
Location: France

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by dale_coop » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Oooooh! Congrats and thank you CutterCross to sharing your awesome game. Need to flash it on my cart and play it, with my son on the NES! <3 It's an incredible game!
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
User avatar
Redherring32
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Location: Usa

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by Redherring32 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Congratulations on the release of your game!
I'll definitely dig in this on one of my several emu devices! 👍
Edit:I can't run .fm2 files on my 3ds, so I'll play it on PC later.
User avatar
Redherring32
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Location: Usa

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by Redherring32 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 pm

NVM, I accidentally downloaded kasumi's video.... :oops: :lol:
User avatar
Tengen Games North
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by Tengen Games North » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 am

I only noticed one energy bar you pick up at the end of a stage dosen't register until you begin next stage... nothing really. Was excited to see the Blackout but in my excitement missed an enemy on a higher level and thus couldn't open the door at the bottom. Will play again and try to complete the Blackout levels. Very fun.
User avatar
CutterCross
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by CutterCross » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 am

del inf3rno wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm
Awesome man, I got stuck on a few parts due to a weird glitch. The first was the first stage of the boss, we killed each other at the same time and after the cutscene I think the game didn't know what to do with the player.

The second was in the blackout, it wouldn't recognize that I killed all the enemies in the room. I'll post the pictures when I get home.

Great work! Do you plan to make changes with 4.1 update?
Thanks man! Damn, I never encountered those bugs before. The second one might just be a random bug with how NESmaker handles checking for triggers, I haven't been able to replicate it myself.

I don't really want to redo EVERYTHING for 4.1.0, so I'm just going to leave it as a 4.0.11 game. I want to move on to creating new stuff!

dale_coop wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 pm
Oooooh! Congrats and thank you CutterCross to sharing your awesome game. Need to flash it on my cart and play it, with my son on the NES! <3 It's an incredible game!
I REALLY want to see this on an actual NES! Now if only I had my flasher shipped. Hope you and your son enjoy it!
Tengen Games North wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 am
I only noticed one energy bar you pick up at the end of a stage dosen't register until you begin next stage... nothing really. Was excited to see the Blackout but in my excitement missed an enemy on a higher level and thus couldn't open the door at the bottom. Will play again and try to complete the Blackout levels. Very fun.
I've had to tackle so many issues reguarding Player Health. I'm just glad I got it to THIS stable of a state!

Glad you had fun with it! Probably should have tweaked the level design a bit though to make sure a softlock like that doesn't happen! Haha.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
User avatar
Redherring32
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Location: Usa

Re: The Tower of Turmoil

Post by Redherring32 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:38 am

This game is one of the most polished games yet,
You have my utmost respect!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Attachments
IMG_20181201_014635.jpg
IMG_20181201_014635.jpg (939.01 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Post Reply