Unlimited Game Object and Monster Graphic Assets

timkilgore

Re: Unlimited Game Object and Monster Graphic Assets

Post by timkilgore » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I just want to thank you both for explaining things so thoroughly. I have to read through these responses to make sure i understand everything. I appreciate your help and time :)
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 pm

You're welcome. I may be making this tool, but Kasumi is still the Jedi Master here, btw . :-)
timkilgore

Post by timkilgore » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 am

You're not kidding, holy cow Kasumi is great.

I'm pretty sure I understand it now.

In the NES Maker tool where you're creating each screen, all graphics are loaded when you go to each screen. For example

Screen 1: Player Graphics, Monster 1 Graphics, Monster 2 Graphics and Background Graphics

Screen 2: Player Graphics, Monster 2 Graphics, Monster 3 Graphics and Background Graphics

These are loaded as you enter the room.

The game I was discussing Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu has a routine in it that different player graphics can be loaded while you're on the screen. For Example:

Screen 1: Player Standing Graphics, Enemy Standing Graphics, Background Graphics

When player hits button B the following graphics are loaded:
Player Punch Graphics, Enemy Hit Graphics, Background Graphics.

NES Maker doesn't work like that though so I wouldn't be able to do something like this with NES Maker. I would have to figure out a way to get all the Player Animations into what is loaded into each screen upon entering it. If I wanted to do something like Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu it could totally be done but I'm going to have to write it on my own.

Again thank you so much! NES is hard LOL
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 am

It's that you "can't", per se. But there are limits to what CAN be done. NES can only load so many graphics during the NMI. This would absolutely not be enough to handle this. Though you COULD load graphics into CHR RAM banks, which might be an option...it's just that...there might not be a single solution to do it, but for one thing, it certainly is not how NESmaker is intended to work. So it might even be EASIER to write an engine ground up than trying to make NESmaker's underlying code do this thing. :-)
timkilgore

Post by timkilgore » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Ok understood. Nothing worth having is easy, well I mean minus that emo girl from the bar a few years ago. That was totally worth having.