Making stomping monster observe monster's health instead of killing it immediately

Having trouble compiling code? Getting an unexpected error? Player not appearing on screen? Seeking answers on how to do a particular thing? This is the forum you're looking for, to ask other NESmaker users for assistance.
darkhog

Making stomping monster observe monster's health instead of killing it immediately

Post by darkhog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 pm

So this code in platform module handles how the monster is killed upon being stomped:

Code: Select all

LDX player1_object
	;TXA
	;STA tempx
	;JMP playerWasHurtDuringCollision
	;LDX player1_object
	LDA selfCenterY
	CMP otherCenterY
	BCS dontJumpOnMonster
	;;; JUMP ON MONSTER
	LDX player1_object
	LDA #$00
	SEC
	SBC #$04
	STA Object_v_speed_hi,x

LDX tempx
	DeactivateCurrentObject
	LDY tempy
	;; INCREASE SCORE
	AddValue #$06, myScore, #$01, #$00
	;;;constant how many places, what variable, how much to change (0-9), what place to change (0=ones, 1=tens, etc etc etc)
	;;;; 
		LDA DrawHudBytes
		ora #HUD_myScore
		STA DrawHudBytes
It works and isn't buggy at all (as far as I've noticed), but I want it to observe monster health and hurt them instead of killing them instantly. Anyone knows what changes I have to make to this code to make it work? For anyone interested it's part of handle object collision script for platform module, starts on line 176
Nintend0Nerd

Re: Making stomping monster observe monster's health instead of killing it immediately

Post by Nintend0Nerd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 pm

I was wondering the same thing.