How to create something akin to The Lost Woods?

Having trouble compiling code? Getting an unexpected error? Player not appearing on screen? Seeking answers on how to do a particular thing? This is the forum you're looking for, to ask other NESmaker users for assistance.
TheGamerInPajamas

How to create something akin to The Lost Woods?

Post by TheGamerInPajamas » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:25 am

Allow me to elaborate. The game that I'm working on takes place in a huge spooky forest that is filled with untold riches and unimaginable power, one that adventurers never return from. I was hoping to have certain parts of the game where you must fulfill specific requirements to advance to the next screen. If you don't meet these requirements, the screen you are on will repeat seemingly endlessly, much like the Lost Woods in the first Zelda game. I know it should be possible on the NES, I just don't know how to do it, and I haven't seen this talked about anywhere online. As someone who doesn't know how to code, can somebody please explain how to do this on NES Maker?
chronosv2

Re: How to create something akin to The Lost Woods?

Post by chronosv2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:08 am

I think with a deal of ASM coding you could write code to have the bounds code make the screen loop like that but warps for false exits might be an easier way of doing it, and when you get the correct item you trigger the screen so the warps aren't on the map anymore.
ASM/C# Coder -- Computer + Coffee = Code
ASM Tutorial Series
fearspork

Post by fearspork » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 pm

lost woods no code, make 3 identical screens with a path going up down left right, on all 3 screens make Blank warp tiles on up down and left that always warp you too the first screen , so going right 3 times will get you out
PortableAnswers

Post by PortableAnswers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 pm

fearspork wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 pm
lost woods no code, make 3 identical screens with a path going up down left right, on all 3 screens make Blank warp tiles on up down and left that always warp you too the first screen , so going right 3 times will get you out
Good thinkin!