How do you make a wall that disappears when the screen is triggered?

Having trouble compiling code? Getting an unexpected error? Player not appearing on screen? Seeking answers on how to do a particular thing? This is the forum you're looking for, to ask other NESmaker users for assistance.
Bucket Mouse

How do you make a wall that disappears when the screen is triggered?

Post by Bucket Mouse » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:33 am

I wouldn't be asking if Monster Lock worked. It doesn't.

Whenever I use it, both blocks are walk-through whether the trigger is active or not....also, one of the blocks has garbled graphics. This problem existed on the Adventure tutorial video, but I thought Joe kept the fixes he made in the final code??

Also, this is a village which means the "monsters" are NPCs....would that make a difference?
jsherman

Re: How do you make a wall that disappears when the screen is triggered?

Post by jsherman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:30 am

NPCs do not count towards Monster Locks. You should be able to have 1 real monster and 1 NPC and only have to defeat the 1 monster to unlock it.

Is the screen trigger number a unique value?
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am

The trigger is set from a dialogue box on another screen. After the text appears, the trigger is set.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unique value." The trigger applies to the next two screens, so in that sense, it wouldn't be unique (to just one of them).
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:41 am

I was talking about the Screen Type number on the Screen Info window.

So you want the wall to disappear based on the event happening on the other screen? As long as both screen share the same Screen Type number, you can do that. When you start the game, both screen should be in an untriggered state. So if you cause a trigger to occur, such as collecting a key, then any trigger-based action will also occur on any other screen sharing the same Screen Type number.

Now the problem with doing a Monster Lock wall is that there should be a monster around on the same screen to keep it up until you want it to go away. You could always try to stick an invisible monster in an unreachable place, just so the monster lock doesn't go away until your player performs the desired task on the other screen.

I don't know if any of that helps. I think I understand what you want to do, and it should be possible, but I could also be way off in interpreting your intentions. :)
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112