DCPM Support

Have a thought on how NESmaker can be improved? We are a small team with limited means, but we'd love to hear your ideas!
CutterCross

Re: DCPM Support

Post by CutterCross » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:33 pm

PotaJoe wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 am
OK, didn't expect this post to get this much attention.

I see where you are all coming from.

The way I make music for NESmaker at the moment is using FL studio as it is easier to make music in, then I export a .mid of it and import it into an older version of FamiTracker, then I add some instruments.

To be honest, it would take a while to have the noise and triangle change instruments during the song because of how it imports, I would suggest Famitracker adds an instrument change option but they have cut midi support in recent updates.

DCPM would be nice for sound effects at least anyway.
The best way (imo) to make music in Famitracker is to make EVERYTHING in Famitracker from the ground up. The music will be far better optimized and you won't have to deal with cross-compatibility issues between programs and file formats. I've done it that way for years, and NESmaker has so many more limitations when it comes to their sound engine that DPCM sample support should be the least of your concern. You really have to get clever with composing if you want to make any complex music for NESmaker, especially since it doesn't support stuff Effects or Channel Volume Control.
The Tower of Turmoil: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
PotaJoe

Post by PotaJoe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Well anyway, I'm hoping that NESmaker's music maker will be a bit like FL Studio's piano roll, as that is MUCH easier than a tracker.

Also, you don't need to build a song in famitracker from the ground up to make it sound good, I managed to make a pretty good one with echoes and everything with an old version of famitracker and a midi from FL Studio.
-PotaJoe
NAveryW

Post by NAveryW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am

I was disappointed to learn that DPCM wasn't available, particularly because the places I'm interested in using it (cutscenes, maybe the game over screen) wouldn't involve controller input while the sounds are playing! Making it available with a warning about its nature feels to me like it would be very worthwhile.