Warp tiles stop working

Here is the link to the wedNESday tutorial for making an Adventure game. Done something cool with it? Modified it in some way? Want to ask the community about creating additional features for it? Post things Adventure Module here!
Retrobuster

Warp tiles stop working

Post by Retrobuster » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey all,

Been working through the tutorial and I'm stuck at the point where you use the key to unlock the door. Everything works fine up to a certain point: I pick up the key, unlock the door, warp through to the next screen where I pick up the Magic projectile, walk back through the previously locked door, warp back to the room where the door was initially locked, BUT if I go to walk back to the room that had the Magic item in it I no longer warp. The correct "open door" tile is displayed but it's no longer functioning as a warp tile. Both rooms are set as different screen types - not sure if that would even cause this issue, I'm new to all of this - and the warp settings all would appear to be correct since they work initially. Any advice? Thank you in advance.
Redherring32

Re: Warp tiles stop working

Post by Redherring32 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 am

Something is probably triggering the screen, so when you try going back through, there's no longer a warp tile.
My current WIP game: Shadow: An Adventure In Monochrome, you can also find me over at the Community Discord.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 am

Retrobuster wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:46 pm
Hey all,

Been working through the tutorial and I'm stuck at the point where you use the key to unlock the door. Everything works fine up to a certain point: I pick up the key, unlock the door, warp through to the next screen where I pick up the Magic projectile, walk back through the previously locked door, warp back to the room where the door was initially locked, BUT if I go to walk back to the room that had the Magic item in it I no longer warp. The correct "open door" tile is displayed but it's no longer functioning as a warp tile. Both rooms are set as different screen types - not sure if that would even cause this issue, I'm new to all of this - and the warp settings all would appear to be correct since they work initially. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

You could try to modify your "System\Handle_CheckForTriggers.asm" script, around line 41,

Code: Select all

ChangeTile #$00, underSecret
to:

Code: Select all

ChangeTile #$02, underSecret
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Retrobuster

Post by Retrobuster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 pm

I THINK I already did that. If I remember correctly, this was the part of the tutorial where Joe was having a couple of issues and had to mess with the code and this was part of that. I could be mistaken about that though. Will check when I get home from work. Thanks!
Last edited by Retrobuster on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retrobuster

Post by Retrobuster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Yep that did it. Thank you!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 am

Retrobuster wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 pm
Yep that did it. Thank you!
Glad it fixed your issue :)
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Electric cat

Post by Electric cat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:37 pm

My issue I'm am having is setting up the Warp tiles. I followed the tutorial and it's not working is it done differently if you want to stay on overworld and work to a screen directly above another?.
Redherring32

Post by Redherring32 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 pm

I am also having problems with warp tiles, no matter what I set the "warp out to" screen as, it always goes to the same screen.
My current WIP game: Shadow: An Adventure In Monochrome, you can also find me over at the Community Discord.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Exact, here's a fix for the warp tiles:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=10494#p10494
-----