Made "CutScenes Introduction Screens" (for between Start Screen and Playable Screens)

functionalform

Re: Made "CutScenes Introduction Screens" (for between Start Screen and Playable Screens)

Post by functionalform » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 am

Heh. at this rate dale, you might as well be listed as everyone's co-programmer.
Bucket Mouse

Re: Made "CutScenes Introduction Screens" (for between Start Screen and Playable Screens)

Post by Bucket Mouse » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 am

HOLY HAMSTERS, I DID IT! I GOT TEXT TO DISPLAY AUTOMATICALLY!

I modified Dale's "change tiles" script from the Adventure Module forum:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=763&p=4886#p4886

I rewrote it to subroutine to DrawNPCText.asm.....and it worked! Assign this script to a tile state....Put this under your character at the spot they load into a screen, and the text will appear first!

Using a Special Tile was the missing ingredient we were all looking for -- it is essential. But you can still use underSecret for something else. This routine seems to ignore changing the tile's graphics once it gets the Text instruction.

Code: Select all

CPX player1_object
	BNE finishedWithAutoText

ChangeTileAtCollision #$00, underSecret
	LDA #$01
	STA textBoxFlag
	JSR dodrawTextBox

finishedWithAutoText:
I DID IT! I DID IT! AAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Awesome! Good job!
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
SeaFoodAndButter

Post by SeaFoodAndButter » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Bucket Mouse wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 am
HOLY HAMSTERS, I DID IT! I GOT TEXT TO DISPLAY AUTOMATICALLY!

I modified Dale's "change tiles" script from the Adventure Module forum:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=763&p=4886#p4886

I rewrote it to subroutine to DrawNPCText.asm.....and it worked! Assign this script to a tile state....Put this under your character at the spot they load into a screen, and the text will appear first!

Using a Special Tile was the missing ingredient we were all looking for -- it is essential. But you can still use underSecret for something else. This routine seems to ignore changing the tile's graphics once it gets the Text instruction.

CPX player1_object
	BNE finishedWithAutoText

ChangeTileAtCollision #$00, underSecret
	LDA #$01
	STA textBoxFlag
	JSR dodrawTextBox

finishedWithAutoText:
I DID IT! I DID IT! AAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Can you upload a video or something to youtube. I want to see what it looks like!
Thanks for any help, I'm a rookie at this!
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:29 am

All right, I finally got to the point in my game where I could implement a cutscene with Autotext. The two programs work together with only one issue.

That issue is the fact that if you press the A button at any time while the text box is onscreen, it will glitch up the box and make the text appear in the HUD instead.

The lazy way out would be to just put a note in the game saying not to press A, but I think the input for A could be shut off in the MakeNPCText.asm code, much in the same manner directional inputs are shut off on cutscene screens.
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 am

Rrrrgh, nothing's working. I don't know how to shut A off.

LDA gamepad
	AND #%00000001
	BNE dontdoanything

dontdoanything:
We read the gamepad and see if A is being pressed. If so we branch to "dontdoanything." That's supposed to supersede whatever command was loaded into A before, right?
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 am

Where did you put that code?
In the script assigned to the "Press" "A" button?
Could you share the full code of this script?
-----
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 am
Where did you put that code?
In the script assigned to the "Press" "A" button?
Could you share the full code of this script?
I put it into "DrawNPCText" because the issue was with the text box. If you're saying I have to directly assign it to A, how would I make it only turn on during cutscene screens?

it's also worth mentioning I'm keeping the HUD on during this cutscene and not using the HUD shutoff code. Maybe if you do use that code, this issue doesn't come up. I don't know.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:57 pm

I can’t understand why the “A” button have an impact on your NPC text (should be “B” button)?
Or maybe you change that?
-----
Bucket Mouse

Post by Bucket Mouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:37 pm

I didn't change anything. The only thing I changed was that, like I said, I didn't use the HUD shutoff code.

All I know is when you hit A while the text box is onscreen, everything gets messed up.