HUD Area & Text Box color problems

thedodecahydra

HUD Area & Text Box color problems

Post by thedodecahydra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm following the tutorials, to the T based on the videos, using the newest release of NESMaker 4.1.5, and I'm getting some weird screen glitches that shouldn't be happening? See the image below, I've turned all the HUD tiles into the Sub 4 pallette, but it's still making text brown. Same with textboxes, when I create a box, it makes the squares beside my textbox Sub4.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (29.79 KiB) Viewed 115 times
-- Cheeky Lions --

*roar* *meow*
dale_coop

Re: HUD Area & Text Box color problems

Post by dale_coop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

First, your Text Box, when you have this kind of issue... it's because its size is not correct.
try to make it larger (or smaller), it would work better:

Now, for the strange colors in your HUD. It's because the game engine loads 2 screens at the time: the current screen and the screen next to it... and the attributes of the HUD areas are mixed.
So, a easy workaround:
On your 1st screen, paint the HUD area with the "R" key (hold the "R" key of your keyboard to paint the area with the Sub4 palette)
AND, on the screen next to it (at its Right), ALSO, paint the HUD area with the "R" key (sub4 palette) :

It should fix your issues.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Attributes for the textboxes are 32x32 pixel metatiles rather than 16x16 metatiles. If you re-size your textbox like Dale says to a 32x32 pixel basis (2x2 normal 16x16 pixel metatiles) that should fix any color bleeding.
thedodecahydra

Post by thedodecahydra » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 pm

Thank you both for your help! I was able to get the textboxes working right, knowing now that it's 32x32 metatiles will help me out a lot in the future.

I still can't seem to get the text coloring to work. I did already have both map tiles set with Sub4 where the HUD is...

Okay, I tried something, based on what dale_coop suggested, and painted the THIRD empty screen to the right with the Sub4, and that fixed it across both screens. That was probably what you meant, anyway, but the tutorial had me create two screens, so I was confused for a moment. Awesome!
-- Cheeky Lions --

*roar* *meow*
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Glad you fixed your issues :)
Yeah, sorry when I am not clear (english is not my language)...
Yes, I was meaning the screen that is to the Right of your current screen (where you have the hud issue)... you have to do it, EVEN, if the right screen is an empty (unused) screen ;)
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
thedodecahydra

Post by thedodecahydra » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm

I appreciate your help immensely! I have a feeling you'll be responding to me a lot as I work through the software. :) I'm also going through an Assembly tutorial so I can at least understand what I'm looking at when I read the scripts.
-- Cheeky Lions --

*roar* *meow*
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Assembly tutorials, great! It's not easy... >_<
Can't wait to follow what you will create with NESmaker <3
-----
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm

What tutorial are you going through?
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
thedodecahydra

Post by thedodecahydra » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 am

Dirk wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm
What tutorial are you going through?
I was originally looking at tutorialspoint.com, but then I found the Nerdy Nights tutorials mirrored here: https://nerdy-nights.nes.science/, so I'll probably use those since they're specific to NES instruction sets. Right now, I'm really just interested in understanding the scripts over being able to write my own. For example, "Wtf does LDA mean?" and going and finding out.

I would like to be able to contribute to the scriptbase here, but for now I'm just trying to get a wedding present made for my best friend.
-- Cheeky Lions --

*roar* *meow*