Project DART

mouse spirit

Re: Project DART

Post by mouse spirit » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Is there a faster version? I love a challenge. Or is this like the limit because of stuff. Also could the speed constantly ramp until the fastest speed bearable!?
Lastly, what does the other button do? Is it for fun or maybe a 2 player mechanic? The button that's not jump.
I am game, hear me blip.

WIP my game Star Rider
https://www.mediafire.com/file/phef252j ... p.zip/file
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:48 pm

mouse spirit wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm
Is there a faster version? I love a challenge. Or is this like the limit because of stuff. Also could the speed constantly ramp until the fastest speed bearable!?
Lastly, what does the other button do? Is it for fun or maybe a 2 player mechanic? The button that's not jump.
The stage scrolling could be faster, there's no real limit on how fast it can scroll since it only updates the position of the PPU window. (So in reality it's not ACTUALLY scrolling in the traditional sense. No nametable / attribute table / collision updates.) The only real limit is when it's scrolling so fast it looks like it slows down and scrolls backwards. But the way I handled the wall movement was the real limiting factor, since they're completely independent from the background. Their max speed is already set to 255. I COULD have probably made a system where their position only becomes dependent from the background when they become solid, but I felt that the current speed was fine.

I thought about having a system where the speed slowly ramps up but that would have been tricky to implement given how full my static bank is. If I had space like that to spare I would have also tried to implement screen fade-ins, haha.

B button is for wheelies, holding a wheelie builds up additional score.
mouse spirit

Post by mouse spirit » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Understood.Wheelies should definitely give me more points, only makes sense. I understand the speed now too.Thanks for explaining it all. And yeah when stuff goes too fast it can look like it's going the other way,gotchya. It is exciting when 3 walls come out right after eachother too.Only happens sometimes.
I am game, hear me blip.

WIP my game Star Rider
https://www.mediafire.com/file/phef252j ... p.zip/file