Doodle Land Demo (UPDATED)

CutterCross

Re: Doodle Land Demo (UPDATED)

Post by CutterCross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:59 am

Had the occasional instance of a collectible not actually collecting, tile glitch due to scrolling, and bouncing off an enemy into a higher screen, but overall very fun and playable :)

I think the bosses are a little too easy. Could benefit from longer invincibility periods so you don't just keep bouncing on him and killing him in 3 seconds. Also there are some instances where I feel monster blocks are missing where the should be, so enemy behavior can be a little unpredictable whether they're going to turn around or not.

But this is still one of my favorite NESmaker games I've played!
Music Man:
The Tower of Turmoil: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
When the Clock Hands Stall: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2723
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 am

I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, but when I saw that this updated demo dropped, I stopped everything so that I could play it. Great work! I played it through to the end, and it was a great improvement. One observation I had, both this demo and your original would occasionally award 1 point instead of 100.
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
n8bit

Post by n8bit » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm

jsherman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 am
I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, but when I saw that this updated demo dropped, I stopped everything so that I could play it. Great work! I played it through to the end, and it was a great improvement. One observation I had, both this demo and your original would occasionally award 1 point instead of 100.
Hmmm... will have to hunt down the cause of that. Thanks!
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am

n8bit wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm
jsherman wrote:
Looks like the single point happens when Doodle is invincible.
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
n8bit

Post by n8bit » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:29 pm

jsherman wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am
n8bit wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm
jsherman wrote:
Looks like the single point happens when Doodle is invincible.

Yup! I figured it out the other night and fixed it.
n8bit

Post by n8bit » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm

CutterCross wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:59 am
Had the occasional instance of a collectible not actually collecting, tile glitch due to scrolling, and bouncing off an enemy into a higher screen, but overall very fun and playable :)

I think the bosses are a little too easy. Could benefit from longer invincibility periods so you don't just keep bouncing on him and killing him in 3 seconds. Also there are some instances where I feel monster blocks are missing where the should be, so enemy behavior can be a little unpredictable whether they're going to turn around or not.

But this is still one of my favorite NESmaker games I've played!
Yeah still trying to iron out the collectible issue. Thanks for the heads up on the the issues with the bouncing off enemies and into a higher screen on the 3rd level.

As far as bosses, I am still trying to come up with the best approach for them in terms of actions and cool down periods after hits.

The lack of monster blocks causing the enemies to be unpredictable is intentional :)

Thanks for all the feedback and I am glad you enjoyed the game!