YO!

opt2not

Whats up, my name is Bryan. I've been an Animator and game developer for the past 18 years. The first game I've worked on was for the PSX, back when 3D games were just starting out, so I missed the days of developing 8 or 16 bit games. But being almost 40, they sure were the best parts of my gaming youth. I backed the NES Maker because I wanted to see what I missed, and apply my art and design experience to a game of that era. As an Animator/Artist I'm not versed in coding as my full-time job, just a bit of python and C#. Before NES Maker, making a game for the NES wasn't possible for me, unless I dedicated my time to learn ASM. So engines like this is perfect for me!

Some of you might recognize my name from various arcade and gaming forums. The arcade is where I started my gaming passion, and continued through the Atari 2600 (my first console) to the current gen now. I try to play current games, as well as the old stuff from my collection as often as I can, but as I got older I noticed that the older games fit my schedule better these days.

As an animator I'm going to dive into trying to get more personality into my characters, as well as focus on story elements to set the tone of my game. As a gamer I'm partial to platformers, fighters and shmups, so I'm not sure what kind of game I'm going to do yet. We will see the capabilities once I get my hands on NES Maker.

I'm looking forward to growing my game along with the community, and seeing what everyone comes up with! Cheers!

JakeSpencer

Hey Bryan, great bio. Yeah, I'm really hoping this forum becomes a repository for beta and finished roms. That was one thing I was asking about on the kickstarter q&a. It's one thing to be able to make my own game, but I'm just as interested in playing the passion projects of others as well.

opt2not

Thanks Jake. Yeah, sharing projects would be great. Also I could see some collaboration efforts arising as well. Hopefully this board will turn into a great discussion tool getting our game features figured out and ways of implementing.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
JakeSpencer said:
Hey Bryan, great bio. Yeah, I'm really hoping this forum becomes a repository for beta and finished roms. That was one thing I was asking about on the kickstarter q&a. It's one thing to be able to make my own game, but I'm just as interested in playing the passion projects of others as well.

We can make that happen! :)

FrankenGraphics

Hey Brian! Looking forward to see how you'll deploy your animations background to this hobby. :)

Just thought i'd say - though you're here for NESmaker - t's perfectly feasible to write a NES game in C. Experts might say the 6502 family of processors wasn't made for C (or maybe rather the other way around), but shirus' Zooming Secretary from 2011 was made as a proof that C is a perfectly viable language for substantial nes game development, and there's more examples popping up every now and then ever since. Personally I think 6502 asm is easier to understand than C but everyones' got a different background. I think many would agree asm tends to be harder to read at the very least.

sharing projects:
Getting peer reviews and feedback on game design and code is always a good thing. I often find works in progress more interesting than finished games (might be more interested in game design than in actually playing games, but still).

Top Bottom