Changing the sword action in the scroller platformer

pit.baldriz

Hi guys!

I´m trying to figure it out how to change the action of the sword on the scrolling platform basic game. I want to have a new item that comes from the boxes that are a heart and will increase the player´s health by 1 when is lower than 3 (that´s the total health my player can have).

captura_ejemplo_01.png

So I have some questions maybe someone could help:

1. How can I change what´s showing up on the box if I want to have different items?
2. How can I set the action?

Thanks in advance!!

dale_coop

Staff member
I think the content of the prize box is defined by a constant ("OBJ_PRIZE" in "Project Settings > User Constants"). Change this value to get another object.
Note: the objects under "Game Objects" go from "0" to "15" (the "Player" is "0"... and "Effect 7" is "15").

pit.baldriz

Dale, I could change the sword! Thanks for your help. Now, how can I change one of my objects to gain 1 health?

dale_coop

Staff member
If you are using the "Health Pickup" object, go to "Project Settings > Script Settings", select the " assign the "Power Up 0" element (it corresponds to the first game object) and assign the "Powerup_IncreaseHealth.asm" script to it (the script is "Routines\Basic\ModuleScripts\PowerUpCode\").

2019-07-02-09-25-59-Project-Settings.png

Now, when your player will take this pickup, he will gain 1 health.

Note: you will have to add a new "SFX_INCREASE_HEALTH" SFX (in the nesmaker hierarchy, under "Sound > SFX"), for the sound played. Else you will have an error (unknown label) when Export&Test.

pit.baldriz

Thanks a lot Dale for your help! I did what you say and could add the health pickup, thanks!!

Now I´m having some issues maybe you can help me. I record this video that shows 3 different attempts to illustrate everything:

[media]https://youtu.be/1AnCts9SKks[/media]

1st attempt: works OK, the player loses health and gains it again with the item.

2nd attempt: works badly. The player loses health when picking up the item while having full health.

3rd attempt: if the player doesn't pick up the item it stays forever in all screens.

dale_coop

Staff member
I think it's because when you lose, the game does NOT reset the health variable (to 3). The hud displays a incorrect value at start.

So you have to add it yourself. Modify the PlayerLoseLife script... and add those lines:
Code:
	LDA #$03
	STA myHealth
(At the end of the script, for example)

If you're not sure, share your script with the modifications, I will check ;)

pit.baldriz

Thanks Dave! I tried adding those lines but I got a compilation error. Here is the code I have for PlayerLoseLife:

Code:
;;; do loss of life stuff here
	DEC myLives
	LDA myLives
	BNE gameNotOver
	;;do gameover stuff here.  Warp to screen?  Show animation?  Just restart?
	JMP RESET

gameNotOver:

;;;;;
;;; do warp to continue screen stuff here.
LDA #$00
STA newGameState
 LDA continueMap
 clc
 ADC #$01
 STA temp
 GoToScreen continueScreen, temp, #$04
 LDA #$00
 STA playerToSpawn
; LDX player1_object
; DeactivateCurrentObject
 LDA #$01
 STA loadObjectFlag

LDA continuePositionX
STA newX
LDA continuePositionY
STA newY

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok. Try with this one:

Code:
;;; do loss of life stuff here
	DEC myLives
	LDA myLives
	BNE gameNotOver
	;;do gameover stuff here.  Warp to screen?  Show animation?  Just restart?
	JMP RESET

gameNotOver:

;;;;;
	;;; do warp to continue screen stuff here.
	LDA #$00
	STA newGameState
	LDA continueMap
	clc
	ADC #$01
	STA temp
	GoToScreen continueScreen, temp, #$04
	LDA #$00
	STA playerToSpawn
	; LDX player1_object
	; DeactivateCurrentObject
	LDA #$01
	STA loadObjectFlag

LDA continuePositionX
	STA newX
	LDA continuePositionY
	STA newY

;; player1 reset health:
	LDA #$03		;;  <--- HERE reset with your Health value
	STA myHealth

pit.baldriz

Thanks for your help Dale!

I tried the new code you sent, but the problem is still there:

RamenHealthError.gif

I´m so horrible at coding, is hard not to get frustrated.

dale_coop

Staff member
Your player object heath is set to "3", right?
Not sure what causes this issue...

If you want you could send me your project zipped, I could check and tell you how to fix this issue (more precisely, I'd need the project .MST file, the GraphicAssets and the GameEngineData folders).

pit.baldriz

Yes, is set to 3:

player-health.jpg

Dale, I don´t know what is wrong, but I appreciate your help a lot, thank you! I´ll send you a link to my dropbox with the game.

Top Bottom