Teach me how to build tile sets

DarthAT

Hello,
thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I want to build my own tile sets:
NPCs
Main character
Different terrains
Homes, castles, etc

Can anybody point me in the right direction, perhaps a post here or somewhere else on the internet. Or even a quick over view as to how to do it.

Thanks.

AllDarnDavey

Honestly, I would take a look at OppenGameArt.org, and also search for free tilesets on itch.io.

Just take a look at what's already out there made by other people, grab a few free things you like and work on converting it to work in NES maker. It'll help give you a feel for how tiles are made, what the limitations are, etc. Honestly that's how I started out. Took some free tilesets and by trying to convert them to work in NESmaker, found a lot of them were designed to LOOK like NES graphics, but would not actually WORK on an actual NES. So just figuring out how to reduce/combine colors, or make adjustment to tiles so they would actually work in NESmaker helped me a lot.

Jonny

A lot of this is covered by the tutorials here...

https://www.thenew8bitheroes.com/learn

NesMaker as standard has pre-determined bmp files for all your monsters, screen specific, main tile sets and objects in /GraphicAssets. For a new project they'll all be blank and can be filled with your own tiles but must retain the same sizes and file names for NesMaker to compile your project. Not sure if this is the info you're looking for but I'll go on anyway...

Generally, your players, pickups, projectile etc would all be in the GameObjectTiles.bmp

Then you've got loads of BckCHR which are your main "background" tiles, in basic terms things that aren't going to be moving (platforms, walkable tiles, ladders etc)

Also, theres BckSS which are smaller 128 x 16 screen specific tile sets which can also be used. Sometimes used in Adventure games to have specific things that might only be on that particular screen (like a unique building or something). However, you don't have to use them that way. They can be used just to give more tile variety over multiple screens. It all depends wheather you intend to have a hud and text eliments and/or path tiles to which tileset configuration you use. For example, my game doesn't use the HUD or path tiles so I can use 2x Main (BckCHR) and 2x BckSS which gives a lot of tiles to work with.

I'd recomend planning out what tile sets you're going to use for what. For example, you might want to save some of your monster tilesets for cutscene animations, or seperate monster tilesets for bosses for example, stuff like that. Plan what you need for your game.

NPCs would generally go in your monster tilesets (i think?, thats how im doing it) but I guess they could be in your game objects bmp if you wanted.

Get some pixelart software. Piskel is free but there's others that are paid and probably better. I just use Piskel because it works for me.

Hope this helps. Really depends what kind of game you're making ?

Jonny

AllDarnDavey said:
Honestly, I would take a look at OppenGameArt.org, and also search for free tilesets on itch.io.

Just take a look at what's already out there made by other people, grab a few free things you like and work on converting it to work in NES maker. It'll help give you a feel for how tiles are made, what the limitations are, etc. Honestly that's how I started out. Took some free tilesets and by trying to convert them to work in NESmaker, found a lot of them were designed to LOOK like NES graphics, but would not actually WORK on an actual NES. So just figuring out how to reduce/combine colors, or make adjustment to tiles so they would actually work in NESmaker helped me a lot.

I see the term "NES-LIKE" quite a lot nowadays. Half the time they look more like 16bit era graphics but reiterating on the above, you can get ideas form them on how to arange pixels for shading, getting things to repeat well, colour combinations. There's even a lot of 2 colour original gameboy graphics to get inspiration from.

I started similarly, but instead of free tilesets, looked at old NES game sprites on spriters-recource. Obviously, best not to just cut and paste existing graphics but certainly for adventure top down games, very useful to build on concepts that are already fairly standard (like how to do walls inside a room etc).

Top Bottom