Limitations of the NESMaker Sound Engine?

vufka

Thank you for your response! I really respect you as an authority on famitracker for nesmaker, I love your music and have used a bunch of your posts in working on my own music. How long do your envelopes tend to be? I'm trying to come up with some rules of thumb because nothing is more frustrating than having to scrap some time/effort because of a constraint, which I have faced a few times in general while working on things. I think I have settled on most instruments being 4-6 envelope steps long, with some hitting 9-12. What about you? I'm also not really clear on what the space goal should be, what should I watch out for? How much ROM space do I have and how careful do I need to be with my music?

As it stands, I've been doing all volume/pitch/arpeggio/duty cycle changes using instruments. Even note off. The main famitracker interface is pretty much note / instrument and otherwise blank in the other columns.

CutterCross

vufka said:
Thank you for your response! I really respect you as an authority on famitracker for nesmaker, I love your music and have used a bunch of your posts in working on my own music. How long do your envelopes tend to be? I'm trying to come up with some rules of thumb because nothing is more frustrating than having to scrap some time/effort because of a constraint, which I have faced a few times in general while working on things. I think I have settled on most instruments being 4-6 envelope steps long, with some hitting 9-12. What about you? I'm also not really clear on what the space goal should be, what should I watch out for? How much ROM space do I have and how careful do I need to be with my music?

As it stands, I've been doing all volume/pitch/arpeggio/duty cycle changes using instruments. Even note off. The main famitracker interface is pretty much note / instrument and otherwise blank in the other columns.

Why thank you :) I try to do the best I can with my music!

For me, my envelopes tend to be between 1-12 steps long, but I know you could go much farther. That's just my style and the way I do things. Might be a good idea to experiment with envelope length and see what might cause a snag on music import. For ROM space, Shiru's NES Space Checker is an excellent tool to see how much free space you have left in each ROM bank. You can get it from here: https://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml

I believe the music bank is Bank $1B? (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) So you can use that tool to check if you're running out of space for music/instrument data.

Top Bottom