Witch City

jorotroid

WhiteHat94 said:
Really liking the look of the game. I tried playing it on console, on both Everdrive and Powerpak, and on both it freezes and hardlocks all over the place. I want to play thru it on console but after trying for a few minutes I can't get past the 3rd or 4th screen without it freezing. It seems fine on emu, so not sure what the issue is. Just letting you know so hopefully that can get fixed.

Thanks! I don't have a flasher and cart yet, nor do I have an everdrive or powerpak, so I can't test it on a console at the moment. But I'll probably have to rebuild everything when 4.1 comes out, so who knows, maybe it will work better then.

dale_coop

Staff member
Tried it on my original (pal) NES console. And it works like a charm! No freeze, no gitch.
Played it, took every items, finished the level.

Flashed it with the INL flasher:

Here's my (6yo) son finishing it, too:

Really liking the look of the game. I tried playing it on console, on both Everdrive and Powerpak, and on both it freezes and hardlocks all over the place. I want to play thru it on console but after trying for a few minutes I can't get past the 3rd or 4th screen without it freezing. It seems fine on emu, so not sure what the issue is. Just letting you know so hopefully that can get fixed.

Mapper30 doesn't work with ever drive, if I remember correctly.

dale_coop

Staff member
Redherring32 said:

In fact, it can work on Everdrive, with that: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=393

dale_coop said:
Redherring32 said:

In fact, it can work on Everdrive, with that: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=393

I just thought I remembered someone saying that the mapper 30 fix for everdrive was buggy.

jorotroid

dale_coop said:
Tried it on my original (pal) NES console. And it works like a charm! No freeze, no gitch.
Played it, took every items, finished the level.

Flashed it with the INL flasher:

Here's my (6yo) son finishing it, too:

Awesome! What did your son think of the game so far?

dale_coop

Staff member
jorotroid said:
Awesome! What did your son think of the game so far?

He loved it. The graphics are great, the gameplay is good (he had difficulties with the wall jumps at first... but after some minutes, he mastered it o_O), level design is challenging. He was almost sad when arrived at the end... he wanted more ;)
Congrats, jorotroid!

And yeah, on real cart and NES console, it works very well <3

I getting ready to dig in on my 3ds,
Im so psyched!

Edit It consistently freezes every time I crouch. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20181126_103030.jpg
    IMG_20181126_103030.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 3,538
I'm using quicknes, which I've used countless times for my game.
I would use fceumm, but since I have an old 3ds, and not a new one it lags really bad.

jorotroid

dale_coop said:
He loved it. The graphics are great, the gameplay is good (he had difficulties with the wall jumps at first... but after some minutes, he mastered it o_O), level design is challenging. He was almost sad when arrived at the end... he wanted more ;)
Congrats, jorotroid!

And yeah, on real cart and NES console, it works very well <3

Nice! I am very pleased to hear all of that. I hope 4.1 comes out soon, so I can get back to the actual programming. I've been trying to focus on other things in the mean time. I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks since I put out the demo.

jorotroid

Redherring32 said:
I getting ready to dig in on my 3ds,
Im so psyched!

Edit It consistently freezes every time I crouch. :(

First of all, that's just cool that you have it playing on a 3DS. As for the crouch freeze, that's weird. I have no idea what could be causing it other than a quirk of the emulator at the moment. Does everything freeze, or does the player just get stuck?

drdocker

Just played through the demo and loved it! My only suggestion would be to try the dash with a double tap on the d-pad. Holding b + dpad feels pretty unconventional but might just be me. Really excited to play the next build!

jorotroid

drdocker said:
Just played through the demo and loved it! My only suggestion would be to try the dash with a double tap on the d-pad. Holding b + dpad feels pretty unconventional but might just be me. Really excited to play the next build!

Thanks for the input! Glad you liked it.

jorotroid

*Blows the dust off thread*

Uh, hello everybody. As the deadline for the competition rapidly approaches, I thought I would take a moment to do a bit of an update how I am progressing with Witch City. After the release of the first demo, I took a bit of a break to wait for 4.1 to come out so when it did come out I wouldn't be overwhelmed with features to port over. I both regret that decision and am happy I made it. Since the release of 4.1, as some of you know, I have been diligently working on trying to fix 2-way horizontal scrolling which has lead to my own Scrolling-Focused Core that I just finished a few days ago. The plan/hope was to finish the core before the competition to let other people use it, but it didn't quite work out that way. Part of me wishes that I shelved the core to get back to working on the game, but at the same time I feel like it would have been much harder to get back to working on the core after taking a break from it. Plus for about the past month+ I was constantly feeling like the core was almost finished only to discover I still had much more to do. At least I feel like my NES coding knowledge increase by 1000% and I am feeling much more confident about being able to really make Witch City something special.

As for the release for the competition, this brings us back to being both happy and regretful about not working on the game between the release of the demo and 4.1. I wish that I had more new features ready to go for the competition, but I am also very glad that I don't have to port more stuff over at the last minute like this. At this point, I might feel lucky to basically have the previous demo ported over to 4.1 (plus scrolling) in time for the deadline. That said there will be some new stuff coming aside from scrolling. For one thing a friend of mine has been spearheading organizing and writing manual content and I think that's going really well. After finishing the core, I took a couple of days to create some art content for the manual, and here is one image that I particularly like how it turned out.
bjMvhDU.png

I probably won't make any more posts between now and the deadline, so see you all on the other side. I'm really looking forward to see/playing everyone's submissions!

And who knows, I might be able to really pull a miracle and add some of the crazy ideas I have planned for Witch City in time for the competition. I've done some of my best work at the last minute under pressure. I've also done some of my worst work at the last minute, but I don't think that's really relevant here.

dale_coop

Staff member
Hey jorotroid, thank for this update.
Will be very glad if you can make it for the competition. Can't wait to go back to Witch City with scrolling!

Mugi

I can feel you...
I sat down and waited for your scroll core and my project was stalling and stalling on because of that, and when it went on and on I took it upon me that the demo has to have it, so we worked out something with a friend of mine.
like yours, my assembly skills went up 20000% with this, and i ended up in the same boat than you are. the demo simply omits a lot of things that could have, and should have been there. but hey, it scrolls !

I always loved the way Witch City plays out (the batman influence isn't a bad thing) and it will be really interesting to see what you come up with it in the future.

btw that artwork is amazing! how is this made? is it a digital painting or ?

jorotroid

Mugi said:
I can feel you...
I sat down and waited for your scroll core and my project was stalling and stalling on because of that, and when it went on and on I took it upon me that the demo has to have it, so we worked out something with a friend of mine.
like yours, my assembly skills went up 20000% with this, and i ended up in the same boat than you are. the demo simply omits a lot of things that could have, and should have been there. but hey, it scrolls !

I always loved the way Witch City plays out (the batman influence isn't a bad thing) and it will be really interesting to see what you come up with it in the future.

btw that artwork is amazing! how is this made? is it a digital painting or ?

Aw, man. Sorry, I didn't know you were waiting on me to get the scroll core done before moving on to stuff. Nevertheless, I am very excited to try out your game.

I used some 3D models to get the composition and lighting, then painted over them in photoshop. The main character's model was created using MakeHuman, and the cat is just a bunch of primitive shapes arranged to look like a cat.

Mugi

jorotroid said:
Aw, man. Sorry, I didn't know you were waiting on me to get the scroll core done before moving on to stuff. Nevertheless, I am very excited to try out your game.

I used some 3D models to get the composition and lighting, then painted over them in photoshop. The main character's model was created using MakeHuman, and the cat is just a bunch of primitive shapes arranged to look like a cat.

It's not like it's your fault, i was originally going to just ditch the idea because I couldn't make heads or tails about it, but since you wrote up that you'll get it done in some days works, I just went and sat on that.
when i saw that your release got delayed i took another shot at it with my friend who literally saved my ass, and now we have a second scrolling engine that actually does scroll 2 directions. (we literally got it working like few hours before you posted your lol.)

i will be extremely interesting to see how they perform against eachother. I've yet to try yours but my engine is really pick up from this point on, it has gone through a lot to get the scroll to actually function (mind you it's not rewritten, just has it's issues weeded out from it.) at teh end of the day it was propably for the better too, as mine retained the autoscroll, so i got spared from redesigning my stage selection :p

that's a sneaky way to do digital art. Something i've never been good at :p
I used to be able to draw on paper but drawing on a pc is a big no-no.

Top Bottom