Light From Within Demo

Bucket Mouse

Re: Light From Within Demo

Post by Bucket Mouse » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Elarath wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:42 pm
Also Bucket Mouse, is your name from Link's Awakening?
Yes. There actually is not a Bucket Mouse -- the line was a reference to a bait and tackle shop in Japan called The Bucketmouth. The error is still in the Switch version.
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 pm

I also noticed that on my NES the hud gets cut off from the top. I was not on a CRT tv. Are these things something I need to compensate for? Would building the game around a smaller play area eliminate those problems?
the CRT thing is called overscan.
on a CRT enviroment, the edges of the screen can and will get cut off to a various degree depending on the TV used,
it is generally adviced to not use the top and bottom 8 pixels for gameplay critical information to avoid having it rendered invisible. (I.E., leave the top row of your hud empty)
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 am

Mugi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 pm
I also noticed that on my NES the hud gets cut off from the top. I was not on a CRT tv. Are these things something I need to compensate for? Would building the game around a smaller play area eliminate those problems?
the CRT thing is called overscan.
on a CRT enviroment, the edges of the screen can and will get cut off to a various degree depending on the TV used,
it is generally adviced to not use the top and bottom 8 pixels for gameplay critical information to avoid having it rendered invisible. (I.E., leave the top row of your hud empty)
The top row of the hud is just a border, so it is empty essentially. But I may shift the text or textbox around if there is a danger of it not being seen.

Does this same thing happen when hooked up with HDMI say with the AVS system?